Friday, August 15, 2008

I'm Actually Not Here To Fix The Copier, Thanks

I appreciate that my appearance and personality don't exactly exude professionalism. It's this whole clinging to my youth, not selling out, corporate culture be damned thing. Not to mention abject laziness. But mostly it's about ideals, man, and aesthetics, and attitude, and other excuses! I'm just keeping it real, etc.

The other day I was at a going away party for a co-worker. Nothing all that unusual. But I spent a large chunk of time talking to a woman whose son is about to graduate from high school. She's a nice person, and the conversation was interesting because her son is considering colleges in Virginia, which is pretty much where all my friends and I went. I don't know much, but I can tell you that everyone, literally everyone, who ever went to UVA is a douchebag. I can also tell you it's okay to hate Virginia Tech again. And I can tell you that, contrary to what you might have heard, not every single woman at William & Mary is a lesbian. But the one girl who isn't is so scarily into horses that you probably wish she was. So yeah, I'm an expert.

People were wandering in and out of our conversation, but most of the time there were at least four or five of us actively engaged. At one point, though, there were probably ten or so people within earshot. I was talking particularly about grad school at the time, and someone asked me what I studied. Before I could even finish the sentence, another woman said:

"I didn't realize you had that much education."

Strangely, I didn't flip out. In fact, I quickly forgot what she even said. I had gone so far as to have somehow blocked it altogether, until several days later some of my coworkers asked me, "Dude, why didn't you flip out?" I have no explanation. I once saw a comedian (I can't believe I can't remember who, I'm usually good at that) talking about racism, and how when you're black you're occasionally confronted with something so incredibly racist that you're rendered incredulous. The ignorance is so incomplete, horrible, and shitty that you don't even process it, and you just keep on going. Could that have been what happened? Was her comment so patently offensive that my brain just returned some kind of error message? I think it honestly was. Weird.

But anyway, in hindsight, I hate you stupid lady.

3 comments:

looj said...

it would've been interesting to know about the offending (and departing) co-workers in question...just spill the beans already.

bryc3 said...

if i put her name in here, she will inevitably end up googling it. then i'll get fired, and end up being lucky to land a job fixing copiers.

if there isn't a word for the irrational fear that something you've blogged about will be googled by someone who will take offense, there should be. it paralyzes me night and day.

Dawn said...

You had me laughing out loud!! Thanks
http://justdawnedondawn.blogspot.com