Tuesday, August 30, 2005

Tony Kornheiser Is My Homeboy

I am totally gay for Tony Kornheiser. I think he's riotously funny. And he's smart enough to surround himself with people that are also funny. I listen to his radio show every morning at work, and I try to watch Pardon the Interruption when I can.

This morning he was talking about a power surge at his house that left some of his electronic equipment fried. Among the things he lost was a small TV. Tony is not technologically inclined, so he went on to talk about what he needed in a TV and expressed doubt that he would be able to find it. He also mentioned that he'd been advised to get surge protectors to prevent this from happening again, but confessed to having no idea what surge protectors are.

I wrote him an email giving him advice about what TV and what kind of surge protectors to get. I explained that my family owns a rather famous TV business and we prefer a certain brand. I wasn't looking for a plug, I was more trying to explain that we know what we're talking about. Well, Mr. Tony read my entire email on the air! I was so thrilled that I didn't even mind that he mispronounced my name. I did, however, write him back to tell him that he had also mispronounced the model name of the television, and told him the correct pronunciation and origin of my last name. Then he read that email too! I was beside myself.

Unfortunately, it seems that no one else heard him read it. I expected a flood of congratulatory emails and phone calls. I didn't get a single one. I even called my brother to tell him, and reminded him that he could hear the re-broadcast of the show later in the morning. At this point I don't even know if he rolled out of bed to check it out.

Oh well, I'm not letting that bother me. I'm famous in my own mind today.

3 comments:

Lady Tiara said...

ohmigod! you were on tony kornheiser! isn't this like the pinnacle of your existence?

Anonymous said...

Very cool! Trust me (as someone who knows)...it is rare for on-air personalities to read one let alone two emails from the same person on the air. He must have found your email entertaining and helpful.
Congrats!

Kathryn Is So Over said...

yes, this experience and your write-up are both outstanding.

but, new post? please?