Tuesday, August 09, 2005

And You Thought Your Life Was In The Toilet

My toilet has been running for a week or so now. It's not the end of the world, but it keeps us up at night. I've called the property manager and she hasn't returned my calls. I've also taken off the lid and checked out what's going on back there. Looks like a toilet to me. A plumber I am not. So I've just been dealing with a noisy toilet.

This morning I'm getting ready for work and I have to blow my nose. I toss the tissue in the toilet and flush it and walk away. I come back in the bathroom about thirty seconds later and water is coming out of the back of the tank, pouring out on to the floor. Awesome. I grab the trashcan and bathmat and move them before they get wet, and I get towels to put down to soak up the water. Being the inquisitive guy (read: idiot) that I am, I decided to flush the toilet again to see if it does the same thing. Lo and behold, more water. In a stroke of pure genius, I pull the lid off the tank. Water sprays straight up into my face, in a scene straight out of a cartoon.

Like I said I'm no plumber, but I've got a basic understanding of how toilets work. Inside the tank there is a hose that is normally held in place by a plastic tube. Water comes out of the hose and fills the tank, allowing the toilet to flush through the miracle of physics. If it weren't for that tube holding the hose in place, it would spray everywhere. Somehow (perhaps as a result of the toilet running? I don't know) the hose had freed itself of the tube, and was lodged up against it pointing straight up. God himself could not have booby-trapped it any better. My only saving grace is that I did not have my mouth open.

8 comments:

Kathryn Is So Over said...

Classic Bryc3. It could only have been better if wetting your pants was involved.

bryc3 said...

it's only 11am kathryn, anything could happen

Kathryn Is So Over said...

So true, so true.

Lady Tiara said...

well, at least the water that sprayed you in the face was from the tank and not the toilet.

Kathryn Is So Over said...

Still, though... that ain't drinkin' water!

bryc3 said...

it's wet isn't it? DRINK IT!

Kathryn Is So Over said...

I <3 Goonies.

kob said...

extremely funny.