Tuesday, January 17, 2006

Cat Fancy

My family pretty much always had a pet. When I was just a kid we had a cat named Buttons, and she hung around til I was about twelve or so. Then we got a cocker spaniel named Brandi, but that didn’t work out and my folks shipped her out. We then got another cat when I was probably about sixteen. We loved this one so much that we never gave it a name. We just called it Cat. That’s a true story. Cat died the summer before last, when my Mom was in the process of moving to Richmond. My mom packed Cat on ice, put her in a cooler, and drove her down to her new place to bury her in the yard. Kind of a gruesome story. But even better, that Thanksgiving when I went to visit my mom she packed up the Thanksgiving dinner in a cooler for me to take home. A week later, after I had finished eating everything, she confessed she used the same cooler that Cat had been in. Nice.

So in a roundabout kind of way I’m a cat person. Not that I like cats, or think anyone should have cats, but I understand them and I’m familiar with them. Because I was home all the time and up at all hours of the night I developed a bit of a relationship with Cat. She was an outdoor cat, so it was my job to let her in at night and make sure she was fed. But once she came in the house she did her thing and I did mine. The arrangement worked for us. And when I moved out of my mom’s house I thought my cat days were over.

But then I started dating Baby.

Baby hearts her two cats like most people heart children. She feeds them from the table, by hand. She lets them sleep in the bed. When they throw up (daily) or inexplicably poop next to the litter box she cleans it up without getting angry. You know how an infant spits up or has an ‘accident’ and people think it’s cute? Baby does that with the cats. She’s just that devoted. I, however, am repulsed.

Here’s a good example:

On Tuesday night I picked Baby up after work and we went and got some dinner. We went back to her place and I was trying to take a nap in her bed. She was laying beside me, reading the paper. Lola, the more docile of the cats, had taken her usual position beside Baby, on the side of the bed furthest from me. The fat, mean one, Jezebel, was nowhere to be seen. Yet.

Right as I’m dozing off I hear a sound I’ve honestly never heard before. It was a kind of scraping, slurping sound. I’m half asleep, so I ignore it for a while in hopes that it will go away. But when I notice the bed is shaking ever so slightly I can’t take the annoyance anymore.

bryc3: “Baby what is that?”

Baby: “It’s just Jezebel.”

bryc3: “What is she doing?”

Baby: “Licking her butt.”

bryc3: “You can’t be serious.”

Baby: (laughing) “Yeah, she has butt problems.”

The noise was horrifying, nightmarish. Does the mental image work for you? Good. Baby was completely unmoved. Apparently this is a normal occurrence.

We’re moving in together in two months. What the hell am I gonna do? I love Baby, more than anything. She’s the best thing since ever and I’d do anything for her. But I’m simply not a cat person. And I can tell this bothers her because she watches how I interact with the cats. It hurts her feelings that I don’t feed them French fries when we’re watching TV, or let them sleep on my side of the bed. She frowns when I spend the whole night picking cat hairs off my pillow. I have tried to explain that I love her, and in turn love her cats because they mean so much to her. And she admits the cats like me, because they’re typically unfriendly but took to me the minute they met me. I’ve had other people tell us that that’s because the cats can sense I don’t like them. But that’s simply not the case. I do like them, just in my own way. I’m not affectionate (and disgusting) with my pets. I keep them at arms length. But I would never do anything to hurt them, and take care of them as if they were my children.

Yet none of it is enough for Baby. She wants me to be a cat person. Is that even possible? Can I change? Or can I find a new way to explain to her how I feel? Or perhaps I need to just put my foot down and drown them in the Potomac?

6 comments:

Lady Tiara said...

did you really post this at 3:35 in the morning? i guess if you take a lot of naps, you wake up in the middle of the night sometimes. you called baby's cat fat and mean. not really the best way to show your love for them. just sayin'.

bryc3 said...

yeah the cat problem is so great it keeps me up nights. actually that clock is on PST. not sure why. i posted at 6:35 this morning, before work.

there are other words to describe jezebel, but fat and mean really are the two best. this is a cat that is so fat that it can nearly sit straight up. think half prairie dog, have statue of the budha.

Lady Tiara said...

half prairie dog/half buddha statue is a hilarious image. i'm just sayin' that you might not want to tell baby that you hate her fat, mean cat. just a tip.

Kathryn Is So Over said...

wouldn't Baby already know by now? Too late?

PS, Baby looked v. v. pretty at the Cat on Saturday. Love the pigtails/hat look.

[whispered: drown them. cats suck and make me sneeze.]

Anonymous said...

karsten's advice:
nice write up, almost Sedaris
style...I can completely relate, in Cologne puking is still
regular-always in the 'right
spot'. Last butt licking this a.m.
My advice re. his question on Baby and her cats: Do put your foot down early on...but do not drown the cats.

bryc3 said...

baby already suspects i hate them. what baby can't understand is that by simply tolerating them i am making a maximum effort. i won't drown them for now, but i am going to try to be more firm.

kathryn- i will pass along the compliment to baby. more women should wear pigtails. i can't stress this enough people. so hawt.

karsten- such praise! thank you. :)