Wednesday, July 13, 2005

Oh Emo, I Love You So Much That It's Killing Us Both

Q and Not U announced that they were breaking up late last week. This comes just a few weeks after Engine Down announced that they are calling it quits as well. I've gotten used to this happening lately, as nearly every band I've loved in the last ten years has broken up in the last five. I understand that this is, of course, part of the natural aging process. The members of these bands are (mostly) about my age, and my priorities have shifted and theirs have as well. I can respect that. I also understand that what made a lot of sense musically at 20 just doesn't hold the same urgency at 30. Many of these guys have expressed an interest in working on other musical projects, and it's safe to assume that what they're trying to say is, "I'm tired of shouting on stage all night for gas money, I need to work on my rock opera."

But I'm beginning to wonder if this break up phenomenon isn't part of something larger, some fundamental change in music. Independent rock and roll music in the DC area has been primarily defined by a specific sound- an angry, loud, aggressive style with an eye on rhythym and structure that could turn even the most noisy song into a catchy tune. I don't have the talent or the background to describe the history of the DC music scene with any accuracy, and that has already been done terrifically anyway, but I do feel like a brief description is necessary. Rock and roll in DC, specifically punk, hardcore, and indie rock, is about emotion and musical sensibility. It's about making you think and moving your ass at the same time.

Or should I say, it was about those things. We've lost nearly every band that embraced those ideals.

And I can't help but notice that as the genuine articles are packing it in and taking day jobs, the airwaves are choked with so-called 'emo' bands that sure sound a hell of a lot like my music. Now granted, the production is ten times better and the boys in the band are a lot cuter, but if you can't hear DC in this major label crap then you're either in denial or you're not paying attention. These kids grew up on Fugazi and Jawbox, and they've melded it with Green Day and Nirvana. They've glossed over and perfected a style that was deliciously imperfect and edgy when it was being played here. It's like someone recorded the sounds of the Wilson Center, Fort Reno, and the Black Cat, put it into a computer and polished it up, and out came Now That's What I Call Emo Volume 19.

I wonder if this trend in popular music has had any influence on the break-up decisions of so many of my bands. I wonder if J. Robbins ever catches MTV and wants to strangle these handsome little bastards who have made DC rock and roll mainstream. Maybe he is actually happy. Maybe I should be as well. Our music won. It's not the same, it's lost its edge and a lot of its relevance. But it's a hell of a lot better than the rest of the pop music wasteland. Maybe it's a logical progression from underground to mainstream. And maybe it's my cue to start acting like a grownup and let the kids have their rock.

But goddamn it, I still want to rock. I still think heaven is a sweaty rock and roll club, a Budweiser, and a bummed cigarette. And what the hell am I supposed to do with all these Chuck Taylor's, black nerd glasses, and band t-shirts?

3 comments:

Lady Tiara said...

oh bryc3, this post makes me want to cut myself.

seriously, good post. the problem for me is that all these radio bands, although similar to the emo bands of yore, just don't have what it takes in my opinion. they're too polished, too pretty, and they're not really angry, they're just pissed off because the venue didn't fulfill all their contract demands.

bryc3 said...

i would cut myself as well and probably write a suicide note but your handwriting is better than mine and i don't care who won the nationals game and i really do hate my father and my girlfriend is dating my best friend and i can't find my messenger bag anywhere and maybe jesus really is the answer and all my ironic tshirts are in the laundry and plus everything is stupid and dumb and whatever.

i also wish the plan would get back together already because as long as travis was on stage i knew i wasn't the worst dancer (and singer) at the show.

i hat3 3v3rything.

Anonymous said...

Bryce,
who cares? Bands break up. Get over it. I've seen just about every band I've ever loved break up. You just need to move on. This is good it allows to embrace the next big thing. You didn't really think you could cling to emo all your life. Any more than I really thought I could be clinging to the Jesus Lizard all my life. Man, that was a great band.
"I will pay your slut mother one half of one dollar/ if she'll come and sleep with the band"

Fuck you, you fucking fuck fuck!

(Actually I like your blog. I just like seeing that sentence in print. It's a hell of a lot better than the one Alex puts out. Do you know he puts up word etymologies on there? Fucking painful. It's like a burlap thong.)

So you banging that Mickey D's chick yet or what? You can tell me. It'll be our secret.