Friday, July 22, 2005

I Don't Want To Buy Or Process Anything Bought, Sold, Or Processed

It's high time for a work update, and I apologize for not doing this sooner.

The honest answer is that I haven't updated because I have no idea what the fuck is going on. My boss is now my ex-boss. Shortly after the episode I wrote about we had a massive organizational shakeup. Somehow she ended up getting promoted. Me and J got moved over under another boss, and he has turned out to be fantastic. But I've grown disillusioned with being on a product that everyone seems to hate, and I'm locked behind J and won't get promoted as long as she is here. But wait it gets worse. I started looking around at transferring (which my company supports) and found someone who was receptive to me moving to their team. I go to J and ask for advice about how to bring the subject up with my new boss, and J tells me that she is transferring, too, and that she just talked to the boss about moving. So now I can't move, because I'm the only one left over here that knows this product. You'd think I'd be stoked, because this means that I can assume J's senior position and get paid more money (think 25% annual), but that may or may not happen because we might reorg again and eliminate the senior position. What the hell am I even doing here? I'm more qualified than these people (in experience, education, professionalism, and age), but I'm not part of the clique. Do I really have to start going to happy hour at Ruby Tuesday with these fucktards in order to get promoted?

-edit- I just taught the spellchecker to learn 'fucktard.' Sw33t!

3 comments:

Perdita said...

Oh yeah, Ruby Tue. here you come.

But maybe if you talked to your boss and acted like you didn't know she was leaving...I dunno.
He'd realize you talent is wasted, you need a raise, ???

Anonymous said...

As a filmmaker, the first lesson you learn is that you are promoted according to the following:

1. Your pedigree/your "ins"
2. Your political ability
3. Your talent/skills

Anything higher up trumps the other. You can be the best film cutter this side of Raging Bull, but the job is still going to either George Lucas' cousin, or the person who bakes the best brownies.

In the absence of either one of those, maybe you get and keep the job, but only so long as one of the other two don't show up. If the political environment is not conducive to long-term advancement, save your time and start hitting the classifieds.

bryc3 said...

Perdita- I'm afraid that the problem is that I haven't been given enough of an opportunity to prove that I am 'talented.' I'm hoping that what I have shown, however, is that I can stay focused despite all this crap happening around me. That ought to count for something.

Alison- You have no idea how much I'm looking forward to the big karmic payback.

Chris- Pains me to admit it, but you're probably right.