Tuesday, September 26, 2006

How Did She Ever Live Without Me?

As a member of our household, I have a certain number of jobs. We're not talking about a large number of jobs, and they are definitely not very complicated. But I lie to myself and pretend they're essential, and that I'm pulling my share of the weight around the house. That process makes me feel better when I'm sitting on my ass playing my 9th online poker tournament of the day while Baby is mopping the floor.

I used to actually be much worse. When I lived with my family (my mom, then later my kid brother), I would avoid any and all household chores until they reached a breaking point. Things like making a tower of garbage in the trashcan rather than taking it out to the curb, or piling the dishes in the sink until the cabinets were completely bare. I knew that, eventually, someone would take care of them for me. And it worked.

This really drove my ex fiance nuts. I'm fairly sure that one of her motivations in our break up was her very real fear that she was going to spend the rest of her life cleaning up after me. She dodged a bullet on that one. Although after we broke up I lived on my own for the first time in my life. And in that time I gained an appreciation for housework. Turns out there isn't a magic fairy who comes along to take the trash out. In fact, when I spoke with the ex a few months after we'd split up, I proudly told her that she'd be happy to know that there were currently no dirty dishes in my sink. Her response: "My compliments to your girlfriend." Say all you want about Osama bin Megan, but at least she was pretty funny.

So I've tried to make a point to be better for Baby. I always ask about my chores, and I try to take pride in the few that I have. And I've got a pretty sweet deal, as I don't have many. They fall into four basic categories: reaching, fixing, checking and mashing.

Reaching is the easiest, as all I have to do is, well, reach. I'm nearly six one, so I can reach whatever is on the top shelf with relative ease. Baby cannot, so just by virtue of raising my hands above my head I have demonstrated how she couldn't possibly live without me.

Fixing isn't so bad either, as it usually involves the computer or the TV. Since Baby does know a lot about these things, I get to impress her with my finely honed skills. I also add in big words that make me look that much more knowledgeable and buy me extra time. "Sure Honey, I can move the DVD player into the bedroom. But it might have to wait a few hours, as I'll need to find a flux capacitor in my toolbox. Can it wait til after the Nats game?" Baby knows she is not! allowed! to touch! my toolbox! so this one always works.

Checking is the most dangerous of my jobs. Our 'neighborhood in transition' creates a fair amount of strange noises in the night. Usually it's just hookers in the alley, but the other night Baby woke up to the unmistakable sound of a police dog, apparently eating a bad guy. It's my job to go out there and make sure everything is ok. This is a sucker job if there ever was one, as my real role is to occupy my own murderer long enough for Baby to get away. She's sneaky like that.

Mashing is my most essential job. We live in a pretty nice building, but we're in the basement and we're in the city, so we get the occasional bug. I wouldn't say we have an insect problem by any means, but we get spiders and silverfish and a stray roach from time to time. I have to rescue the Princess by sending them to bug hell. It's usually not so bad. I am, after all, a big tough man.

But a few weeks ago Baby came home from jogging and woke me up in a panic. She explained that as she was coming back into our apartment, a roach that was out in the hallway crawled through the doorway. Our front door is near the back door of our building, and I imagine it must have come in through there. Half asleep, I got out of bed and got a trusty wad of toilet paper to save the day. I walked out into the living room and realized immediately I was in over my head. This wasn't your average roach. It was one of those big, fuck all city roaches you see on the sidewalk. If you've never seen one, they are, I'm crapping you negative, two inches long. The kind of bugs that crunch when you step on them with your foot. There was no fucking way I was going to kill that thing with toilet paper. I was certain I'd feel it's heart beating as I smashed it. And, I have to admit, I wasn't entirely sure roaches of that size don't have some kind of self defense mechanism. I wasn't trying to find out. So I did what any man would have done- I got the vacuum cleaner and I killed that son of a bitch good. Unfortunately it was too early in the morning to have a beer, even for a big man like myself. So I just went back to sleep, knowing I had saved my girl's life. And, to her credit, Baby confirmed that I am indeed her knight in shining armor.

It's not always that easy though.

Yesterday morning we were sitting in our kitchen, having breakfast. Baby has her toast on a paper towel, and she looks down and goes apeshit. A bug, and no bigger than a ladybug, is crawling across what she had been using as her plate. I spring to the rescue. I do this thing I do where I start having a conversation with myself. I'm wondering aloud what kind of bug it is, where it came from, what it's after. It looks a bit like a tick, but that's kind of weird. Do they have ticks in the city? How did it get in here? This isn't an inner monologue, mind you, I'm actually having this conversation with myself. Then it dawns on me that I'm supposed to be doing my job. I spring to action, and I mash him with my index finger. He gives a satisfying little pop, and blood squirts everywhere. Ah ha! It was a tick! I triumphantly hold it up for Baby to see. "Look, Princess, I have saved you! And my powers of deduction are razor sharp. It was indeed a tick, and I have slayed him. Have no fear, all is well. Rejoice!"

I expect her to weep with appreciation for my bravery, to call her girlfriends and sing my praises. I consider, once again, discussing the possibility of her starting a blog dedicated to how awesome I am. I am SO about to get laid.

She looks at me, looks at the dead bug, looks back at me, sighs, rolls her eyes, and walks away.

I think it's so sweet that sometimes she's so overcome with my awesomeness that she can't find the words to express herself. You know, when she finished that eye roll thing they were pointing toward the bedroom. Maybe I should follow her in there...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Once, when I was a little kid, I was staying at my aunt’s dirty-ass house in Miami, where there are an insane number of massive bugs crawling around everywhere. Except not just crawling – the roaches there can actually fly. Anyway, I grabbed a box of cereal from my aunt’s kitchen cabinet, and as I opened it, a ginormous roach (also called Palmetto Bugs down there, I assume to try to “pretty them up”) flew out of the box and directly into my face. This thing was at least 3 inches long, with giant wings and hard as a rock. I screamed and ran outside, which of course was stupid because there are always more bugs waiting to get you outside. I hate cereal to this day, and this is probably why. Keep up the good work, Bryc3. Baby should never have to endure such trauma.

Oh, and speaking of flux capacitors... did you ever see the SNL skit with Kevin Nealon and Michael J. Fox, where they're stuck in an elevator together and Nealon keeps singing "Gonna Go Back in Time"? Funny stuff.

-K.

bryc3 said...

absolutely know and love the skit. could you ever listen to that song again without thinking of him singing it in that high-pitched voice?

true bug story-

i'm sitting at RFK earlier this year (it was my hangover day i didn't get my screech bobblehead, if readers remember that post), watching the nats play. a gigantic, i mean seriously terrifying, flying, death-stinging monstrously poisonous direct descendant from the land of the lost wasp flies down and alights directly on the dude in front of me's bald head.

i jump back, as it's eye level with me and maybe two feet in front of me. everyone in my row and several rows behind me gasps. i'm not even lying, you could see the thing coming from thirty feet away.

but the guy obviously didn't see it, so he casually brushes at it with his hand, completely unaware of the danger he is in.

and wouldn't you know it- the thing just takes off and flies back into the outfield. didn't sting him.

Anonymous said...

yeah...i wield a vacuum in those situations where the murder of some husky bug would sicken a homicide detective. no shame there. i figure i'm not being a bitch, i'm simply reducing the clean-up effort...i'm sure that's why the penalty for murder is lethal injection and not a firing squad of sawed-off shotguns at point-blank range.

but what happens when the bug version of the lethal injection is ineffective?

at our townhouse (haven't seen one in P'ville yet), we would be treated to periodic visits by what i still think is an unclassified species. it kinda looked like a silverfish scaled up to about a one and a half to two inch length. it had more than a couple dozen legs and a pair of massive antennae.

the first time i saw one it was hanging on the wall, just inches from the ceiling. it's body appeared soft and so i decided that the vacuum would be the weapon of choice. now i don't own just a regular old vacuum. i was one of the early owners of the now ubiquitous dyson vacuums. when i first got it through special order, i felt like was vacuuming in the future. so powerful. it was like a black hole from which no matter could escape. the dyson produces mini-cyclones to create suction...according the spec those cyclones are moving air at 900mph. intense.

i fire up my dyson and confidently aim the cleaning wand at that little invader, gleefully cheering my superiority over this lower life form. nothing. he doesn't move as if glued to the wall. i'm amazed and somewhat frightened. 900 mph and this guy is unfazed. with quiet trepidation i inch the wand closer. i could not have been ready for what happened next had i been told it was going to happen.

it moves. fast. it covers the 9ft distance between the top of the wall and the floor in a couple blinks of an eye. i can barely keep the wand tracking it. it hits the floor and charges right at me, its antennae lashing about like angry whips. i somehow manage to get the wand in its path and it stops cold as feeling the draft of the suction. then, as though it realized the stalemate, it turned around and ran back up the wall to almost precisely the same place it was when i first saw it.

arrghh!

i then had a great idea. bug spray. hell, bug poison is people poison if you use enough of it. i sprayed that bug with enough raid to kill andre the giant. nothing. i may as well have sprayed it with a fine mist of water.

to make a long story short, the scientist in me got curious and started spraying that bug with everything i could think of. all manner of cleaning products and aeresols made their way up on that bug. i don't think that the paint in that spot every looked quite right again.

i then came across the best bug killer around. it's something not even marketed as bug spray, but it has murdered every single one i've tested it on and has done so without mess. i took a can of compressed air, the kind you use to blow dust out of your computer keyboard, turned it upside down and created a weapon of suspended animation. it froze that bastard solid and he just fell from the wall, for easy clean up with a tissue.

compressed air...definitely keep a can around.

-steve

Lady Tiara said...

i'm shuddering at the thought of flying roaches.

i always tell kisses that i married him so i would have someone to get stuff off the high shelf for me.