Wednesday, September 28, 2005

Here Comes A Regular

I'm not the kind of person that seeks out new bars. You've got to drag me if it's a place I've never been. It's not that I don't like new places, or even that I don't enjoy being in new places. Rather I'm just a creature of habit, and I enjoy myself most when I'm somewhere I know. I also love the idea of being a regular. Being a regular takes time and energy. You have to pay your dues. A very long time ago I decided that I wanted to become a regular at my favorite bar and I succeeded. I didn't formulate a plan or hatch a scheme, I just got drunk there all the time until people started to remember me. I made friends with the staff and a lot of the regulars and before I knew it I was also a regular. Now I've been a regular for so long that I'm old school, and I like that as well.

I count the staff at this place among my friends. I'm genuinely happy to see them and I believe they're happy to see me as well. This is not friendship for the sake of cheap bar tabs and plus-ones to get into the show. This is friendship that comes from hanging out on weeknights and making stupid jokes. It is true that I value getting served first, and I value impossibly low bar tabs. But I think they value knowing that I'm never going to make a fool of myself. I'm never going to make trouble or over-step my boundaries. I think the trick to being a good regular is to never expect to be treated differently. Would you go to your friend's house and expect them to bend over backwards and do you a million favors? Then why would you expect the same from your bartender?

As I said before, my favorite bar is a popular place. On any given night my girlfriend (also an established regular) and I might have ten friends meeting us at the bar or at a show. The first question is always "Who is your tab with?" I'm starting to hate this question. Because that question really means "Hook me up with cheap drinks." So Baby and I have made a decision. We're going to only pay our portion of the tab unless we specifically put others on ours.

Am I being petty? I'm trying to avoid the hassle of collecting money from 76 people after a night of drinking, and I'm trying to let my bartending friends know I'm not trying to take advantage of them. Nevertheless, I know people are going to complain. Does this make me a dick?

6 comments:

Kathryn Is So Over said...

Does THIS make you a dick? Oh, hell, no. Too many other better reasons to think you're a dick, bryc3.

Couldn't resist.

Anonymous said...

No, I think you are right on. I was a regular at a bar in Atlanta, so I know how you feel. The bartenders extend a discount to you because you are a regular and because they like you...your friends should not be allowed to take advantage of you or them because they want to drink for less.

Lady Tiara said...

ummh, i definitely paid my share of the tab last friday. whatever, bryc3.

bryc3 said...

no silly, of course i'm not talking about you. i'm not even talking about that night.

and whatever, you were far to drunk to remember the details of that night.

lush.

Anonymous said...

..."But I think they value knowing that I'm never going to make a fool of myself. I'm never going to make trouble or over-step my boundaries"...

I guess that's why you were never a regular at Winfields. I take it that you've managed to keep your shirt on in more recent times?

-steve

bryc3 said...

hush your mouth, stefan.